Sauteed Chicken With Sage Browned Butter, a #CookClub recipe featured in The Tampa Bay Times, sounded like something my son Jackson might want to try, so I adapted the recipe for one. Let me start by saying both he and I are just a little chicken when it comes to cooking poultry due to the salmonella issue so I served mine in slices.
Step-by-step instructions follow with photos.
First I decided to fry up a few shallot rings to place on top of the chicken when finished.
Using about 1/4 cup of flour I dredged the rings before frying them in a little oil and placed them on a paper towel to drain, then used the same flour later to dredge the chicken.
I left the prepackaged chicken breast in the plastic. After snipping off one end of the package I pounded the chicken with the smooth side of a meat mallet to create a thinner piece of meat.
Sprinkled with salt and pepper before dredging in flour I then poured almost all the oil from the pan before sautéing the chicken 4 minutes on each side.
Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
Melt the butter and add the sage, cooking until the butter browns. Remove the sage.
Cut chicken into strips while the butter is browning.
Add the shallots and thyme, cook for 30 seconds.
Add the chicken and lemon juice, cook for 90 seconds.
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast half
- salt and black pepper
- salad oil
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 sage sprigs
- 1 shallot
- ¼ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Fresh sage leaves
- Slice half the shallot and mince the other half.
- Dredge the shallot slices in flour and fry in oil at medium high heat until brown.
- Reserve the remaining flour for chicken.
- Drain shallots on a paper towel.
- Place chicken breast between 2 sheets of plastic wrap; pound to ¼-inch thickness.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place flour in a shallow dish; dredge chicken in flour.
- Pour excess oil from skillet, then sauté chicken over medium-high heat for 4 minutes on each side or until done.
- Remove chicken from pan and cut into strips.
- Add butter and sage sprigs to pan; cook over medium heat until butter browns.
- Discard sage. Add shallots and thyme; cook for 30 seconds. Add lemon juice and chicken strips; cook for 90 seconds.