Making and decorating sugar cookies for each holiday was something I enjoyed doing while Jackson was growing up. I have a great sugar cookie recipe that I use for most of my cut out cookies and a cookie frosting that is so easy to make and use, after a little practice.
A series of videos I made for e-how, Sweet Sunshine State Cooking, demonstrates some of the methods I use. Another very entertaining and educational video: The Chemistry of Cookies by Stephanie Warren, likens bakers to ‘Mad Scientists’.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 ½ cups flour (3-4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Whisk flour together with baking powder and salt; add to sugar mixture.
- Form dough into two disks, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 45 minutes.
- Working with one disk at a time remove plastic wrap and place dough on floured surface.
- Using lightly floured rolling pin roll dough out to ⅛ inch thickness.
- Cut into desired shape with cookie cutter.
- Place on parchment lined cookie sheet and chill for 15 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-15 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.